If answer to any of the above question is yes, then you may have allergy.
What is allergy?
- Allergy occurs when your immune system overreacts to something that is harmless to most people, but triggers a reaction sensitive to it. This substance is known as an allergen.
- Allergies can be seasonal (worsening during certain times of the year) or perennial (occurring year-round). Common allergens include weed or grass pollen, dust mites, animal dander, mold, insect stings and a variety of food types; such as milk, eggs, nuts and grains. If you come in contact with something to which you are allergic, your immune system considers it dangerous and releases a chemical called histamine to counteract it.
How is allergy diagnosed?
- Allergy is diagnosed by an allergist by a thorough medical history regarding the symptoms, when and how they occur followed by certain skin and/or blood tests.
How is allergy treated?
An allergist can help determine the severity and cause of the problem. Once the cause is identified treatment options includes one or more of the following:
- Allergen avoidance – whenever possible (especially for food allergy)
- Pharmacotherapy – includes medication (like anti-histaminics and leukotriene inhibitors etc.) and newer biological therapy (anti-IgE therapy)
- Allergen Immunotherapy
What is allergen immunotherapy and why is it better?
*Terms & Conditions Apply
- Although medications available for allergy are usually effective, they do not cure people of allergies. Allergen immunotherapy is a lasting solution that involves regular administration of gradually increasing doses of allergen extracts over a period of years.
- Immunotherapy can be given to patients as an injection or as drops under the tongue (sublingual). It changes the way the immune system reacts to allergens, by switching off allergic reaction. The end result is that you become immune to the allergens, so that you can tolerate them with fewer or no symptoms.
Additional Services: 24 hrs Laboratory Tests Available.
For Appointment Contact: 080-4251 6699